About University Budget
This office provides systemwide leadership for biennial budgeting in alignment with the State of Minnesota, creating the annual operating budget of the University of Minnesota, monitoring institutional and unit level financial activities and management, and financial planning, forecasting, analysis, and oversight.
University's Annual Operating Budget
The annual operating budget is developed in adherence with the budget principles and strategies used to guide the University budgetary framework and decisions over the last several years:
- Advance the University's quality and competitiveness through targeted and timely investment in mission-critical academic and capital priorities.
- Compensate, support and retain talented faculty and staff.
- Continue to improve financial access and affordability for students.
- Take additional strategic actions to grow and stabilize revenues including state, sponsored, and private support, as well as revenue generated through educational programs.
- Reduce current and projected administrative costs.
The University of Minnesota's annual operating budget for fiscal year 2020 is $4.2 Billion.
Board of Regents approved FY20 Annual Operating Budget Projected Current Fund Revenues:
Recommended and Approved Budgets
What is a Biennial Budget?
Every two years, the University of Minnesota participates in the state's budget development process by submitting (in accordance with state instructions) descriptive narrative about the University and requests for continued or increased state appropriations. The University's submission is developed in the summer and fall of each even numbered year for the two-year budget cycle that begins the following July. The process to develop the Biennial Budget Request is led by the President and the package is approved by the Board of Regents before it is submitted. The state generally approves the University's biennial appropriation in May of each odd-numbered year.
Annual Operating Budget
The President's FY24 Operating Budget Recommendation has not yet been made.
Approved Operating Budgets
- President's FY23 Operating Budget
- President's FY22 Operating Budget
- President's FY21 Operating Budget
- President's FY20 Operating Budget
- President's FY19 Operating Budget
- President's FY18 Operating Budget
- President's FY17 Operating Budget
- President's FY16 Operating Budget
- President's FY15 Operating Budget
- President's FY14 Operating Budget
- President's FY13 Operating Budget
- President's FY12 Operating Budget
- President's FY11 Operating Budget
- President's FY10 Operating Budget
- President's FY09 Operating Budget (approved with Supplement on June 13, 2008)
Capital Budget: Six Year Plans and Approved Capital Budgets
Capital budgeting is the planning of long-term projects. Management must allocate the University's limited resources between competing opportunities (projects), which is one of the main focuses of capital budgeting. Capital budgeting projects may include a wide variety of investments, including but not limited to, minor roof repairs, whole building renovations, repairs to existing infrastructure, and new construction. Because the amount of capital resources available at any given time for projects is limited, management needs to use capital budgeting techniques to determine which projects will be advanced over time.
Board of Regents policy directs the administration to prepare an annual capital improvement budget and a six year capital plan.
- 2022-2027 Six Year Capital Improvement Plan (Board of Regents docket item dated October 7, 2021)
- 2021-2026 Six Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
- 2020-2025 Six Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
- 2019-2024 Six Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
- 2018-2023 Six Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
- 2017-2022 Six Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
- 2016-2021 Six-Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
- 2015-2020 Six-Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
- 2014-2019 Six-Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
- 2013-2018 Six-Year Capital Improvement Plan approved
Approved Capital Budgets
- FY23 Capital Budget approved
- FY22 Capital Budget approved
- FY21 Capital Budget approved
- FY20 Capital Budget approved
- FY19 Capital Budget approved
- FY18 Capital Budget approved
- FY17 Capital Budget approved
- FY16 Capital Budget approved
- FY15 Capital Budget approved
- FY14 Capital Budget approved
- FY13 Capital Budget approved
- FY12 Capital Budget approved
- FY11 Capital Budget approved
- FY10 Capital Budget approved