University Budget and University Finance both provide systemwide leadership and accountability for the University's budget, short and long-term financial planning, forecasting, analysis, management, and financial oversight of the University of Minnesota system. This site provides information on the functions managed by two units, University Budget and University Finance.
Both University Budget and University Finance report to the Senior Vice President for Finance and Operations.
About University Budget
About U Budget
University Budget This office provides system-wide leadership for biennial budgeting in alignment with the State of Minnesota, creating the annual operating budget of the University of Minnesota, monitoring institutional and unit level financial activities and management, and financial planning, forecasting, analysis, and oversight.
Vice President & Budget Director
Julie Tonneson is Vice President and Budget Director and has served in a systemwide role in budgeting at the University since 1993.
About University Finance
About U Finance
University Finance provides systemwide leadership and accountability in areas such as debt management, tax management, insurance, accounting, purchasing and payables, accounts receivable, financial reporting, travel and expenses, internal and external sales, and oversight and support of financial systems. U Finance is also responsible for short- and long-term financial planning, forecasting, analysis, management, and financial oversight of the University of Minnesota system in partnership with U Budget.
Associate VP & Assistant CFO
Michael Volna is Associate Vice President and Assistant Chief Financial Officer and has served in many leadership roles at the University since 1992, including 16 years as Controller.
Units Reporting to U Finance
- Controller's Office, Sue Paulson (Controller)
- Accounting Services, Mollie Viola (Director)
- Accounts Receivable Services, David Laden (Director)
- EFS Customer Support, Carrie Meyer (Director)
- EFS Module Support, Dan Hemauer (Director)
- Financial Training, Jessica Rivers (Director)
- Internal/External Sales, Sue Paulson (Director)
- Purchasing Services, Beth Tapp (Director)
- Sponsored Financial Reporting, Nicole Pilman (Director)
- Debt Management, Carole Fleck (Director)
- Institutional Analysis, Lincoln Kallsen (Assistant Vice President)
- Enterprise Constituent Relationship Management (CRM), Carrie Otto (Associate Director)
- Enterprise Data Management and Reporting (EDMR), Amy Schult (Director)
- Measurement Services (OMS), Shelly Wymer (Director)
- MyU Portal, William Dana (Director)
- University Data and Institutional Reporting (UDIR), Colin Delong (Director)
- Risk Management and Insurance, Steve Pardoe (Director)
- University Tax Management Office, Kirsten Muller (Director)
FinMAC, the Financial Management Advisory Committee
University Finance maintains a membership in NACUBO for all staff at the University of Minnesota (systemwide). This includes automatic membership in CACUBO. All RRC Contacts, CFMs, department heads, and senior leadership of the University are automatically registered and remain on the list until they leave the University, unless they remove themselves before that time. Registered members may access their membership at nacubo.org using their @umn.edu email address as the User ID. First time users may be prompted to set up a password for their account.
All University staff who work in finance areas and are interested are encouraged to use the membership to obtain subscriptions to free NACUBO newsletters and Business Officer Magazine, receive discounts on conference registrations, and access NACUBO publications.
To request registration as a NACUBO member, send an email to [email protected].